Thursday, September 12, 2013

Where to go for great wanton mee with great char siu: Try Mei Jin Kee

Wantan mee is another favourite of mine which I find easy to find one which is good, but not easy to find one which is truly excellent.

One Monday, I was riding solo, the rain was threatening to dampen my ride, and I had a craving for wanton mee. I rode to Jalan Batu Food Centre, and it was closed for cleaning. I then rode to Eng's Noodles at Tanjong Katong Road...darn, it was Monday, and Eng's was closed. I then rode literally one block down the road, to a kind of deserted food court...when I was there at peak lunch time, there were perhaps 10 customers, and only a wantan mee stall (which also sells chicken rice amongst other things), an economy rice stall and a Thai stall were open.

I spied at the wanton mee stall...the char siu looked beautifully dark and caramelized. So I hazard a try.

Surprisingly good wtm...the char siu is superb...tender, slight crisp around the edges, the noodles done just right, with good bite...the chilli very nice, and the wantons were very tasty...as was the little bowl of soup. Very nice, and highly recommended.

Will definitely go back and try more of the char siu, and try their roast chicken and roast pork.

Mei Jin Kee
Food Court at Katong Hostel
369 Tanjong Katong Road

No comments: