Monday, February 11, 2013

Gastronomy in Paris: revisit Chez Dumonet for killer Duck Confit

I took the opportunity to revisit some of my favourites in Paris...Chez Dumonet is one of my absolute favourites. In my books, best confit du canard in the world..

I wrote a glowing review the last time I visited...click here for earlier review.

Time time round, we arrived for lunch, sans reservation. It was a rainy day in Paris...and we sauntered over after some light shopping at Au Bon Marche, which is a short walk away.

So is the confit du canard still good?

Absolutely. The duck skin still earth shatteringly crisp. The meat within, still moist, delicious. Maybe my diet is a little different this time, so I am used to leaner food...but although I found the confit to be magnificently satisfying, I felt that it was a bit greasy....no surprise, as the method of making a confit is to immerse the entire duck leg in a pot of duck fat, cook it over low heat, seal the pot, and leave till needed. This was one method of food preservation before the days of prevalent refrigeration. When needed, the duck is removed from the fat, and fried till the skin is crisp.

And so was the soufle...still the best Grand Marnier soufle I have eaten.

Light elastic skin. Smooth, moist, delicious inside. Magnificent.

Service was a bit spotty, but the waiters were cheerful and spoke English. Which in Paris, well lets just say having waiters who are not grumpy certainly makes a nice day. And the food, divine. Certainly worthy a trip over to Chez Dumonet if you are in Paris.

Josephine aka Chez Dumonet
117, rue du Cherche-Midi, 6th (Metro : Duroc)
T : 01.45.48.52.40
Closed Sundays and Mondays

No comments: